Clementine recipes from Hector Santiago
"Top Chef" contestant Hector Santiago, of Atlanta's Pura Vida, offers two recipes featuring clementines. Since the seasonal favorites are usually sold by the box, these recipes are a good way to use up the extras you don't eat out of hand.
Clementine-Chipotle Roasted Chicken Served with Yellow Rice and Avocados
Ingredients for Clementine-Chipotle Roasted Chicken
8 each Chicken Thighs, boneless, skin on
4 oz Chipotle Peppers in Adobo (half of an 8 oz. can)
8 each Clementines
4 tsp Kosher Salt
1 Tbs Oregano
1 each Cinnamon Stick
1/8 cup Ginger Root, peeled, sliced
2 cups Chicken Stock, warm
1 cup Water
1 cup Sugar
1 tsp Salt
4 Tbs Cilantro, rough chop
1 each Smooth Skin Avocado, cut in 8 slices, skin off
Ingredients for Yellow Rice
2 cups Medium Grain Rice
4 cups Chicken Stock
1 tsp Salt
2 Tbs Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Tbs Annatto Seeds
2 each Bay Leaves
Method for Clementine-Chipotle Roasted Chicken
1. Zest the outer peel of 4 clementines with a micro grater, being careful to only grate the first layer – one strike at a time. Save the zest of two clementines.
2. Puree the Chipotle in Adobo with the addition of zest of 2 clementines in a food processor until the flesh of the chilies is smooth but the seed still visible.
3. Cook the 4 clementines that have been zested in the water with ginger, sugar, cinnamon stick and 1tsp salt covered for 1 ½ hours; let cool.
4. Cut the cooked and cooled clementines in ¼ segments; clean out any loose inner skin and seeds if any, save segments for the chicken and keep the liquid.
5. On a cutting board arrange all the thighs with flesh side up; butterfly the thick ends of the meat to level and stretch skin to be able to wrap into a roll.
6. Season flesh with salt, and let rest for 5 minutes; crush oregano with your fingers as you sprinkle it onto the meat.
7. Season thighs with 1 teaspoon of the chipotle and clementine puree mixture (from step #2), keeping the ends clean. Roll the thighs tightly with the skin covering all the meat. Secure with a toothpick.
8. Place thighs in a baking dish alternating with the cooked and cooled clementine segments (seam side down); Season top of the skin with the kosher salt.
9. Mix together clementine cooking juices, the juice of 4 clementines, chicken stock and add to the baking dish.
10. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes. Turn and cook for 10 minutes, then turn back to skin side up and cook another 5 minutes.
11. Remove toothpicks and serve chicken thighs topped with clementines segments, Yellow Rice (see next recipe) and sliced avocado.
Method for Yellow Rice to Accompany Clementine-Chipotle Roasted Chicken
1. Place annatto seeds in a Pyrex cup and top with olive oil. Microwave for 20 to 30 seconds or until it heats up, and the Annato colors the olive oil. Strain seed out and discard, saving the oil for the rice.
2. In a 2-Quart sauce pot, add annatto oil and rice; warm up tossing the rice, to coat it with the oil.
3. Add bay leaf, chicken stock and salt; bring to a boil, cover and cook on medium heat for 15 minutes, until liquid evaporates and rice is just cooked. Let it rest 5 minutes, covered.
Yield: 4 portions
Preparation Time: This dish will take about one hour to complete though the clementine portion can be done in advance and save 30-40 minutes preparation time.
Cook Time: 45-50 minutes
Clementine-Pumpkin Seed Bread with Pumpkin Seed Butter
Ingredients for Bread
5 oz Butter, unsalted
¼ cup Yogurt
1 cup Ripe Plantain (about 1 ea), peeled
3 each Candied clementines, chopped (see additional details/instructions below)
2 cups All Purpose Flour
1 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Kosher Salt
1/2 cup Toasted Pumpkin Seeds, crushed
Ingredients for Candied Clementines
1 cup Sugar
3 cup Water
½ cup Clementine juice (about 3 ea Clementines)
3 each Clementines
Ingredients for Pumpkin Seed Butter
1 cup Toasted Pumpkin Seeds
1 Tbs Pumpkin Seed Oil
Method for Bread
1. Beat butter and Clementine syrup (from candied Clementine recipe below) well until fluffy.
2. Blend together the ripe plantain (can be substituted for 2 bananas), eggs and yogurt. Add the chopped candied clementines and blend slightly leaving some of the clementine rind chunky.
3. Sift dry ingredients together, and then slowly add to the mixture, beat for a minute to add body to the bread. Fold in the crushed toasted pumpkin seeds.
4. Bake in a loaf pan that has been buttered and floured, or lined with parchment paper, at 350 for 45-50 minutes, until center is dry when checked with a toothpick and cool.
Method for Candied Clementines
1. Cut 3 clementines in quarters; de-seed if needed
2. Blanch in hot water for 5 minutes
3. Cook slowly in water, sugar and their juice, simmer until clementines are soft and the liquid syrupy (about 45 minutes). Strain syrup and save for the bread. Cool to room temperature.
Method for Pumpkin Seed Butter
1. Puree in a blender at low speed until very smooth, about 5-10 minutes.
Other Serving Suggestions
1. Serve toasted slices of Clementine-Pumpkin Seed Bread with Pumpkin Seed Butter
2. Use a muffin mold for individual portions
3. Serve it with a good chicken liver pate or foie grass…pura vida!
Yield: 2 cakes in 8x4 loaf pans
Preparation Time: The cakes will take about one hour to complete though the clementine portion can be done in advance and save 40 minutes in preparation time.
Cook Time: 45-50 minutes